I mentioned in my recent monthly favourite post that I had started using Nosh for Students Cookbook. One of my all time favourite recipes from this book is the Bacon and Mushroom Pasta Bake. When I am feeling lazy (which is most nights) this is my go to meal to make.
What you will need (feeds 4/5 people)
Enough pasta to fill up half of your serving dish (casserole dish)
1 small onion (finely chopped)
6 - 7 slices of bacon (I just use the whole pack) (cut into pieces)
8 mushrooms (sliced)
Half a tub of double cream
Enough grated cheddar cheese to cover the top of your pasta bake
As you can see I mostly just wing the ingredients lol.
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C fan over/200°C/Gas 6.
2. Cook the pasta to required time on the packet. Remember to add salt to the water. Once finished drain and add back to the pot.
3. While the pasta is cooking add a little oil into a frying pan (I use a deep pan) and fry the onions until they become soft over a medium heat.
4. Add the bacon and cook until bacon turns brown.
5. Add the mushrooms and cook for a few minutes. I cook them till I start to see them changing colour.
6. Add your cooked ingredients to the pasta and add your double cream. Mix together and season with pepper. You won't need to add salt as the bacon will add enough.
7. Pour the mixture into your dish and add your grated cheese evenly over the top.
8. Put into the oven for 20 - 25 minutes.
9. I usually serve this meal with salad and garlic bread.
Considering how simple it is to make it's surprisingly tasty! Also great to have for lunch the next day.